Friday, November 14, 2008

UYG: Wave 5 Fakeout And Key Reversal







(Click On Chart To Enlarge)

I bought the UYG when it rallied back to UNCH, at 9.52, just below the Wolfe Wave pattern. I would have been happy just with yesterday's Wave 5 fakeout and a close at the bottom of the Wolfe Wave, but the UYG did much better than that, putting in a bullish Key Reversal candle: a new low for the move, and then a close that was higher than the prior sessions high. Ver-ry nice.

So, "the fix is in," as far as putting the proverbial "everyone" wrong-footed on the false breakdown to 5.77, which was very near the Ascending Triangle (pattern in purple) target of 5.62. That pattern broke down at 16.15 going into the October 3 close, prior to the big gap down on Monday, October 6. Yesterday's low achieved 98.6% of the measured move down, so that's certainly "close enough" to that target getting MADE, and hopefully, we'll get a nice rally off yesterday's reversal.

On any selloff from here, we want to see the bottom of the Wolfe Wave become support, if it gets tested. A slight intraday penetration is fine, but I shouldn't like to see a CLOSE below it. After a Wave 5 fakeout like we got yesterday, we "should be" headed higher, and sharply higher. That's one of the hallmarks of a Bullish Wolfe Wave, to move sharply in the opposite direction, to correct how overdone things got at the Wave 5 fakeout low. At yesterday's low, the UYG was down 77% in just two months' time. There aren't any limits on HOW overdone things can get, but I think we can agree that that kind of loss sure seems a tad overdone ;)

Next order of business, beyond remaining above the bottom of the Wolfe Wave, is to get through the Tenkan-Sen (8 day...bold red line) and the Kijun-Sen (21 day ... bold green line) which are slightly inverted at 8.42 and 8.45, respectively, but positioned to make a Bullish Cross on a rally. If we go rallying gangbusters out of the gate in the morning, we might expect at least some turbulence in that area. After that 8.42-8.45 resistance, we need to break out of the Wolfe Wave, which would be a print of 10.06 for today. I don't expect that to happen. Just pointing out where the goal line is so we'll know if we should happen to score ;)

As far as the target line is concerned, I have absolutely no idea whether or not we'll even break out of this Wolfe Wave, let alone get a rally of that magnitude. These patterns are very unorthodox. Some of them work out, some of them don't. But, when they do, like the TWO Bullish Wolfe Waves did in the SKF (see those charts in my October 25 post, "How The Shorting Ban Played Out," the moves can be quite spectacular.

A move higher from yesterday's low of 5.77 to where the target line is for today's session, at 12.85, would be a gain of 122.7%. That kind of percentage gain is rather a lot to expect even over several years' time, let alone over several days' or weeks' time. Do I expect it? No, I really don't. But, I do think that the UYG can have a very nice percentage gain off yesterday's low.

Off the July 15 low of 14.08, for example, the UYG had a sharp six day rally to 24.79, for an outstanding gain of 76%. Something like that would be most welcome and is more realistic. However, the Kumo (Cloud) resistance (vertical lines) is above the target line (Blue #6), and the October 6 gap at 15.08 intersects the target line around Thanksgiving, so hey, you never know. Those things (Kumo...gap) often act like magnets, and the UYG might be given to at least chasing them to the upside for a bit.

11 comments:

katzo7 said...

Hi Melf,
I have not followed UYG. What is your reasoning for picking this one out over all the other efts that are available? Trying to learn how this all works and what forms decisions.
Thanks, excellent site.

Gluon said...

Melf,

When I saw your first chart from yesterday and you said there was a wolfe wave watch, I didn't see what you were talking about, as the number "1" on the chart was not the wolfe wave number 1. Yeah, I should have continued on to the very last chart where it all becomes clear. I agree: probable wolfe wave.

I'm wary of going long anything financial, and an ultra would make me even more cautious. But I think the uyg is a good pick and maybe I'll get some for my IRA account. It's a stodgy, boring account and it could use some excitement.

Thanks for the charts.

Melf Elf said...

katzo7 said...
Hi Melf,
I have not followed UYG. What is your reasoning for picking this one out over all the other efts that are available?
------------
Katzo,

I wanted to play a large, liquid sector. The SSO (representing the SPX) daily chart was a Descendiing Triangle. Those tend to have bearsih resolutions, so I figured that it would have to "morph" (change) into something else, like a Bull Flag, but it definitely wasn't going to be a Wolfe Wave with the flat bottom that it had in place.

The QLD (representing the NASDAQ) was a Wolfe Wave candidate, but it would have had to drop all the way down below 20.35 for the Wave 5 fakeout, so that didn't look very promising. It bottomed yesterday at 23.69.

The UYG already had a Wave 5 fakeout at Wednesday's close and looked to be a good candidate for a long play for the reasons that I outlined in yesterday morning's post. The SSO or QLD would have been a good pick, too.
-------------
I should have continued on to the very last chart where it all becomes clear. I agree: probable wolfe wave.

gluon,

Sorry, at least part of you're not continuing to read through the entire post is my fault. My posts are prohibitively long and detailed for most people, given all that we have to read.

If you're going to put the UYG in an IRA account, make sure that you have the latitude to pull out of it whenever you want, rather than having to wait 30 days, or something like that. Things can change very quickly in this volatile market.

Good luck, guys!

Melf Elf said...

didn't see what you were talking about, as the number "1" on the chart was not the wolfe wave number 1.
---------
Gluon,

By the way, the #1 on my chart WAS the Wolfe Wave #1, at the end of the "Lead-in." Let me know if you have any misunderstanding about that.

At the end of a steep decline (or rally), that's where you put the #1, and then follow what happens thereafter to see if a Wolfe Wave pattern develops IN THE DIRECTION OF THE LEAD-IN.

Didn't mean to scream that, but it's very important ;)

Melf Elf said...

Gluon,

Oops...sorry. You were referring to the FIRST chart from yesterday morning. Okay, I gotcha ;)

ohunt said...

Melf, thanks for the info on wolfe wave. I mistook your wolfe wave as the Wolf Wave used is Classical Ausrtian economics. I have not come across the wolfe wave your using before. What i like about your charts is that the use unusual tools that seem quite useful once i understand them. Your wolfe wave charts make more sense now and could be quite useful. Thanks for the interesting site.

iv said...

Thanks Melf...did you go long UYG.....

I did and already in the plus...of course with a stop at 6.30.

Melf Elf said...

ohunt,

Thanks a lot for the feedback. I like the Wolfe Waves a lot. They don't always work out, but when they do, they can be very profitable.
-----------
iv said...
Thanks Melf...did you go long UYG.....

I did and already in the plus...of course with a stop at 6.30.
---------
iv,

Yes, I posted my long position in the first sentence of today's narrative, and the second chart is is a snapshot of the actual trade. I'm long from 6.52.

I'm very glad that you're using a stop. I'd feel terrible if anyone lost much money based on my analysis. I'm a great believer in "Be patient with your winners, and be ABSOLUTELY RUTHLESS about cutting out your losers." Sometimes, I'm a bit too-oo ruthless, but I hate to lose money. I'd much rather take a small loss and move on to something more profitable ;)

I'll post an updated chart on the UYG and this trade with comments tomorrow or on Sunday.

Good luck guys, and have a great weekend!

Mosh said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Mosh said...

Hi Melf,
I usually use P&F charts for my trading and new to technical analysis.
I am very impressed by the depth of your analysis and would like you to recommend me on a book/article/website from where I can extend my knowledge in technical analysis and advanced patterns like you use.
Thanks, and have a great weekend!

Melf Elf said...

Apollo,

Stockcharts.com has a "Chart School." Under the table of contents, the link on Chart Analysis (second one down) is a good one on the basics.

http://stockcharts.com/school/doku.php?id=chart_school

If you're interested in the Wolfe Waves, Voodoo Trader is a good source for the basics, with some examples.

http://chart.nu/wolfewave.htm

Notre Dame beat Navy yesterday (we lost to them last year), so I am having a great weekend ;) Hope that you are, too!