Saturday, October 6, 2007

GIGM: Cliffhanger Close


(Click Directly On The Chart For Better Viewing)

Explanation of a Bearish Wolfe Wave 5 "Bull Trap," from my Thursday morning post:

"...wait for a "TELL," like a Wave 5 upside breakout/fakeout that fails, putting both Bulls and Bears "wrong-footed" on the breakout.

By that, I mean that breakout buying Bulls come in and BUY the stock, stubborn shorts finally capitulate, and BUY to cover their position, and both groups are caught "wrong-footed," buying when they should be selling (bulls), or shorting (bears)."

At Friday's 17.74 close, both Bulls who bought GIGM's 17.71 Bearish Wolfe Wave Breakout on Thursday, and Bears who capitulated there, and bought to cover that breakout, are caught "wrong-footed."

At best, the breakout Bulls have a breakeven if they caught the breakout immediately. All of them who paid prices between 17.75 and Friday's 18.44 high are sitting with a paper loss, after Roth's upgrade and a "bullish" breakout, and the Bears who capitulated at prices above Friday's 17.74 close now are having a bit of regret, and second thoughts.

After seeing Thursday's CLOSE above the pattern, which certainly was bullish, both groups that are caught "wrong-footed" now are seeing that Friday was:

1. A Reversal candle. It made a new high for the move, then closed below the prior day's close.

2. A Reversal candle that CLOSED ju-u-ust barely back inside the Bearish Wolfe Wave pattern, the top of which came in on Friday at 17.7875 (the close was 17.74), putting the validity of the breakout in question until GIGM regains the top of the pattern.

3. A Reversal candle that was very close to being a Bearish Dark Cloud Cover pattern, which is a Bearish Reversal Signal. In an uptrend, the pattern is a white candle (Thursday) followed by a black candle (Friday) that opens above the prior day's high, and then closes well inside the white candlesticks "real body."

Thursday's high was 18.25...Friday's open was 18.25, within one penny of "opening above the prior day's high." The close was within seven cents of being 50% inside Thursday's white candle, or "well inside the white candlestick's "real body."

Whew!

Hold all paramutual betting tickets, folks...this one's too close to call :)

I bought Thursday's open with a Limit Order of 17.36, two cents above Wednesday's high when I saw GIGM called higher at BID 17.30...ASK 17.40 on the Roth upgrade, with a sell target of 17.68...17.69 since the upper trendline was at 17.70.

Normally, I wouldn't even consider a trade like that, for only $0.32, but the body of evidence was so strong that GIGM would make a bid for the trendline at Wave 5, I decided to take the trade, and if it worked out, which it did, the proceeds would cover me for the next part of my trading plan.

The next part of my plan was to short GIGM on any close at or below the top of the pattern, at 17.70, with a stop above whatever the intraday high was, playing it for a Wave 5 Bull Trap. I liked the rally to a high of 18.25 on Thursday because that would give me a Bearish Inverted Hangman if I got my close at 17.70, or below. The tail would have been twice the size of the "real body," and my gain on the first part of trading plan would just about cover me if I got stopped out at 18.26, a penny above Thursday's 18.25 high.

In the home stretch on Thursday, when I saw that GIGM was set to close ABOVE the pattern in the high 17.90s, no way-y would I consider shorting that, even though, ironically, I'd be a few cents in the green at Friday's 17.74 close. But, my "shorting breakouts" days are long since over. That's a HUGE "no-no" for me, even if the trade would have ended up working out. The majority of bullish breakouts in bullish stocks are true breakouts, and I won't even consider shorting them.

Although Friday's close has the elements of reversal that I've enumerated, and we've got the Wave 5 "wrong-footed" elements that we've discussed, I also wouldn't short that close because of Thursday's CLOSE above the pattern, and because Friday's close was only pennies back inside the pattern. GIGM has been extremely powerful on this rally of the August low, and it's plenty capable of resuming it's current rally.

Because the chart has so many elements of a Bearish Wolfe Wave 5 Bull Trap, though, I'm also not willing to be long. And, I'm absolutely determined not to get caught "wrong-footed" here. I probably will somehow, anyway. LOL.

I'm dead neutral on GIGM at the moment.

Someone on the Yahoo GIGM Board asked me what my short and long-term predictions are, but I couldn't reply because I keep getting "Error Message 999...We can't process your request yap yap yap..." Grrr-rr...

ANSWER: I never predict anything because I'm lousy at it. I only can tell you what patterns I see, where the breakout/breakdown is, and what target is, or would be, IN PLAY, based on a measurement of that particular pattern.

By no means do the targets always get MADE. "It ain't rocket science," as the saying goes ;) Targets are simply "what we're aiming for." They can fail to materialize. They also can be exceeded by a great deal, like the THREE targets that were IN PLAY from the pattern breakdowns seen on this chart in June and July. The last of the targets, 11.45, MADE on July 26, but GIGM sank another 21.2%, to 9.02, in the August smackdown.

Thursday's upside breakout of the Bearish Wolfe Wave pattern put a target of 20.29 IN PLAY, but that's currently ON HOLD because GIGM closed back below the breakout. The target goes back IN PLAY any time that GIGM trades back above the channel, and remains above it. The top of the channel comes in on Monday, October 8, at 17.875.

3 comments:

Oliver Huss said...

Hi MelfElf, nice to meet you again on your own blog. Seems that your 3SoF decision is finally?
My GIGM update for you:
GigaMedia "buy," target price raised

Thursday, October 04, 2007 10:16:12 AM ET
Roth Capital
NEW YORK, October 4 (newratings.com) - Analysts at Roth Capital reiterate their "buy" rating on GigaMedia Limited (ticker: GIGM).
The target price has been raised from $17 to $22.

&

GIGM: New 52-Wk High @ $18.290 up 1.72%
Friday , October 05, 2007 09:46ET

This is the 3rd 52 WEEK HIGH alert for GIGM in the past 7 calendar days.
The share price for GigaMedia Limited (NASDAQ NM: GIGM) reached a new 52-week high today, trading at $18.290, up $0.310 (1.72%) from its previous close of $17.980.
The Company's previous 52-week high of $18.250 was set yesterday on October 04, 2007.
One year ago, the Company's shares closed at $10.270. The price has climbed more than 78 percent since then. At the time of this alert, the stock had traded 17,900 shares via 21 trades, 98.32% below it's 20day average of 1,067,380 shares.

cheers
Oliver (la-onda)

Melf Elf said...

Hey, Oliver,

How nice to see you again! Thanks for the item on the Roth upgrade. I always appreciated your posting of items like that at 3SOF :)

Yes, I decided to stop posting at 3SOF back in March. Too time-consuming, and my posts on the technical side of the market didn't generate enough interest to make it seem worthwhile.

Most people seem interested in the market fundamentals. I'm finding that in comments here, too, which is perfectly fine, but that doesn't interest me much.

So, I thought recently that I'd do my technical thing and "blog" occasionally, and if anyone cares to read it, that's fine. If they don't, that's fine, too :)

Great to see you, Oliver! Good luck to you, and thanks for stopping by :)

Oliver Huss said...

GigaMedia initiated with "outperform" - update

Thursday, October 11, 2007 1:53:14 PM ET
Bear Stearns

NEW YORK, October 11 (newratings.com) - Analyst James Rhee of Bear Stearns initiates coverage of GigaMedia Ltd (ticker: GIGM) with an "outperform" rating.
The target price is set to $27.

In a research note published this morning, the analyst mentions that the company has a strong presence in the growing real-money gaming software and online games industries. GigaMedia's real-money gaming software and online games businesses are expected to generate revenue CAGRs of 26% and 83%, respectively, in 2007-2010, the analyst says. The company has an impressive investment track record and has been prudently utilizing proceeds from the disposal of low-return assets and operations to create shareholder value, Bear Stearns adds.