Sunday, March 22, 2009

FAZ: It Hunker Down at $30

My last comment on the FAZ, to Life Observer, after I closed out my short trade:

"It's at 30 resistance, where I shorted it this morning (at least I caught something in it the past two days...LOL). Next serious resistance is the 34.50-34.80 bottom of The Rectangle.

I'd like to see it hunker down here in the 30 area, and below, and build a nice base before attacking next resistance. A retest of this morning's low isn't out of the question either."

Here's what the FAZ did after that:



It hunkered down at the $30 area and built a nice base, this Nested Ascending Triangle. So often over the years, I am asked, "Now what, Melf?" "What's your next 'call' on this?" My only CALL on these charts is to do YOUR homework, and follow the chart as best you can, which is what I try to do. I don't know the future any more than the rest of you.

Up to this point in the chart, from my March 10 pre-market post on the imminent H&S Top breakdown at the open, we have had a total of at least THIRTEEN patterns and targets that got MADE, and I never CALLED a single one of them because I don't have divine knowledge of the future. LOL.

I only know whether or not I've got a pattern breakout (and, sometimes those are false breakouts/breakdowns) and what target that breakout or breakdown suggests is IN PLAY. Same applies to support and resistance. In my short trade in the FAZ that I posted last week, I shorted resistance and covered at support. I didn't KNOW whether that would be successful or not, but I had a game plan, and executed it.

They aren't "always" winners, nor do thirteen pattern targets in a row get MADE, but in this case, they did.

If we are FOLLOWING along (I was busy with my IBM trade after I covered my FAZ short), we can see that, indeed, the FAZ hunkered down at $30 and formed this Ascending Triangle with a nested Bull Flag (in yellow,) broke out from Patterns #14 and #15 since the smackdown from the March 10 break of the H&S Top, and put three more targets IN PLAY:

1. 31.60 - Bull Flag (in yellow)

2. 34.50 - 34.80 - Resistance at the bottom of The Rectangle that broke down and put 23.98-24.70 IN PLAY, where the FAZ bottomed last week. The low was 23.88, ten cents below that.

3. 36.36 - Ascending Triangle

We know that "nested patterns" tend to pack some punch, increasing the likelihood that the targets will get MADE. No guarantees. Targets only are "what we're aiming for," and they need to be monitored along the way.

In measuring the Ascending Triangle, I always use the most coservative of the highs to establish the target so that the expectation isn't overly ambitious. It's perfectly fine to use the highest high, and many technicians do. The highs were 30.12 ... 30.30 ... 30.22, so I'm using the 30.12.

30.12 - the 23.88 low = 6.24 points of upside + 30.12 = Target: 36.36 IN PLAY



The nice Ascending Triangle base, and subsequent breakout, launched Friday's rally in which the 31.60 Bull Flag target got MADE, and the 34.50-34.80 targets both got MADE. The Ascending Triangle target of 36.36 still is IN PLAY.

When a pattern target goes IN PLAY we, as technical analysts, have to look at the chart and try to make a determination about how realistic the target is. In the case of this 36.36 Ascending Triangle target that is IN PLAY, is there any resistance that would suggest that it might not get MADE?



There sure is! This entire Rectangle price area represents nearby resistance. That doesn't mean that the FAZ can't get through it, or won't get through it. It simply means that we have to decide what we want to do about it.

For example, anyone who bought the Ascending Triangle breakout in the $30 range has a lot of good choices, one of which is to "take profits when targets get MADE" at this 34.50-34.80 Rectangle resistance area. We know that targets against the trend are less likely to get MADE. The trend has been down, and we're AT RESISTANCE, so if I had gotten long the Ascending Triangle breakout, I would take at least some off the table.



Since the FAZ stuck the close on Friday slightly above the 34.50-34.80 bottom of the Rectangle resistance, I view that as a first down into FAZ Bear territory (for you football fans ... LOL), and view the short-term picture as Neutral as long as the FAZ trades above 34.50 - 34.80. Getting above 44.90 - 45.01, which is the top of The Rectangle, would be a SCORE for the FAZ Bulls.

As always, I have no prediction about what anything is going to do. I might or might not be following this particular fund next week, but if I were, I would do just what I've done along the way. Try to FOLLOW the patterns, as best I can, like this "possible" Bearish Wolfe Wave that might be developing. If that plays out, there will be a "Fakeout/Breakout" at Wave #5, then a move down toward the target line, at #6, wherever that is as the chart evolves. Just an example of watching to see if something unfolds, like the Nested Ascending Triangle did at $30, and like the other thirteen patterns did from the March 10 break of the H&S Top.

I hope that my nearly two-week analysis on the FAZ and the SKF has helped with pattern identification, establishing targets, support and resistance, etc. I have over-focused on the FAZ because a number of people are in the fund, but my purpose here isn't to do a play by play of a particular stock or fund, or to do other peoples' homework for them and hand out targets, so I would appreciate if people not ask me to do that with questions like, "What's your NEXT target, Melf?" Frankly, that begins to feel like, "What have you done for me LATELY?" I'm doing this for free, and although I try to be as generous as possible and will continue to try to do that over time, I ain't workin' this hard for free, and I doubt that anyone reading this would either ;)

My purpose has been to help to teach YOU how to do your own homework on these charts. Good luck to all of you!

12 comments:

Melf Elf said...

Linus,

Nice to "see you" again! Sorry, I didn't see your earlier comments and hope that this post helps you with your decision-making. I don't make calls or advise anyone on trades. I just try to follow the program, same as you are doing.

Good luck, buddy!

linus said...

thank melf,
appreciate the thoroughness. there is a good chance of spx gap down in the Monday AM to 750s and that will give faz folks their score of 40s! (lol).
I appreciate great service you are doing for free. as with everything more will come back to you what you impart in learning and knowledge.
happy trades monday. i am planning to go long fas once i see a gap down in spx 750s, else stay in cash. a correction is in order for spx and financials. I am thinking xlf 7.5 as good entry point in fas.
linus

Al said...

I have been following you for a little over a week and truly appreciate your TA. It has helped me improve my own TA and make better trades.

thanks,

Jegejig said...

Melf,

Thanks again for your generous analysis on FAZ.

Your analysis of the petential bearish Wolfewave on the 10 minute chart seem to coincide with my anticipation that SKF may still go higher.

Daily RSI2 has not entered overbought territory yet and daily Slow stochastics is quite oversold and recently crossed up.

Your analysis helps me a lot while doing my homework. :)

We may see patterns that seem to stand out and should play out - however, the market has the final say.

Thanx again and happy trading.

kea11 said...

Well Melf - Thanks for the exhaustive analysis here over the last several posts with regard FAZ and SKF. You have successfully identified my major failure to trading successfully - my poor technical pattern recognition! Can I ask what is your favourite intro text with regard patterns.

johnboy said...

Melf,

Many thanks for taking the considerable time to write your blog and get involved on other sites as well (such as xtrends).

Here's a duplicate of a response I wrote to you on xtrends, in case you don't read it anymore:

Melf... stick around. You're a great contributor.

The 'noise' will follow you wherever you go. I'd rather you stay here, and if the noise must come with it, so be it.

In an effort to be constructive, my two tips for helping you filter the noise are:
1) Make sure you've got your disqus settings set to have replies to your posts emailed to you, and check your emails for any responses. If the response is ridiculous, hit that key marked 'delete' and think no more of it.
2) Actively watch comments of only those people you think have something worthwhile to contribute. Do this by using your feed/RSS reader to monitor the comment feeds (provided by disqus) for each of those people. That will help you to ignore most of the 'noise'.
3) Only occasionally scan all the posts to see if there might be some newcomers who are posting quality stuff, and add them to the list of people you monitor via RSS.

This will keep most of the monkeys off your back.

Cheers

JB3

1ping said...

Melf, xTrends has some great posters and traders and also some of the biggest losers the market has ever seen.
Just so you know, I found your blog from one of your "hotlinks". I came, saw it's value (to me), and bookmarked it. I read you just about every day, your pattern analysis is rock solid and you have taught me plenty. Thank you.

john said...

Melf,

Thank you for your work I have read your blog and your comments on xtrends for months. I appreciate. I am an old retired guy just trying to make a couple of dollars and your help was invaluable.

John

Melf Elf said...

Guys,

Thanks very much for your kind responses. I'm an old guy, too, John, and I neither have the time for nor patience with "Yahoo Message Board" behavior. LOL.

Johnboy, you're a great guy, and I appreciate all of the time that you spent trying to keep things sane at xtrends. It's a tough job keeping the riff raff off blogs and message boards, I realize, so I'm just going to try to stay focused on my work. Thank you very much for your fine efforts.

kea11 said...

Sounds like we're a board of old guys!

Melf Elf said...

hotbutton,

LOL. I forgot to answer your question. Stockcharts.com has a some good information in their "Chart School" section. Under the table of contents, look at the Chart Analysis section.

http://stockcharts.com/school/doku.php?id=chart_school

kea11 said...

Thanks Melf, your response is much appreciated, even way down here in Queensland, Australia. The link you've provided is just what the Dr. ordered.